Do you want to be making mince pies on Christmas Eve? Go on, you know you do… Radio 4 at 3pm…Nine Lessons and Carols and the smell of baking. The start of Christmas with these delicious Frangipane Mince Pies…
- 750g sweet shortcrust pastry ( I actually used 125g butter, 50g caster sugar, 250g plain flour, 1 egg yolk + 2 /3 tbsp water and it was just enough rolled out very thin!)
- large jar of good mincemeat
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- 50g plain flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp brandy
- flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
- Grease three 12 hole tart tins. Roll out pastry thinly and cut 36 rounds of pastry to line tins. Leave to rest in fridge while you make the frangipagne.
- Beat the butter until soft. Beat in the sugar until pale and fluffy and then beat in the eggs. Mix in the flour and ground almonds with the brandy.
- Half fill the pastry cases with mincemeat and then spoon a heaped teaspoon of frangipagne over the top over each one. Smooth it over and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake for about 20 – 25 mins until golden brown. Serve warm sprinkled with icing sugar.
These are light and moist and even non mince pie eaters profess to love them. I don’t know who to credit with the recipe as I picked it up last Christmas and have forgotten where, but I am happy to pass it on!
Now part of the Planet Penny Advent Calendar